We want to migrate our existing YF installation (7.1) from our windows server to a new linux server.
The YF DB is on a separate server (MS SQL).
Can we just do a new installation of YF on the new linux server and point the connection string to existing YF DB and stop the YF installation on the windows server?
Thanks for sending in the question.
It sounds like you are looking to install Yellowfin on a separate server but would like to maintain the same configuration database. If this is the case, the process is pretty straightforward.
There are a couple of prerequisites that you should be aware of. They are:
1. A new Yellowfin license with the new server name will be required (unless the server names are the same)
2. The build of the new Yellowfin install must match that of the old build--i.e if Yellowfin-71-20151125 is installed on the old server, Yellowfin-71-20151125 must be installed on the new server.
With those two things in mind, all you should need to do is:
1. Install Yellowfin into your new server. Select HSQL as your database type.
2. Start up and shut down Yellowfin (to populate the root folder)
3. Copy the original server's web.xml file located at:
and replace the new server's web.xml file located at:
This will point Yellowfin to the original configuration database.
4. Start up Yellowfin
You will need to import your new license at this point, but other than that you should be good to go.
Hopefully this information is helpful. Could you give this a go and see if this works for you?
Please let us know if you have any questions/concerns or run into any troubles. Have a great day!